Zoom 9002


Back in the Spring of 1991 I was moving back from Indiana and found out on my last day at work that I had a little bit of vacation that was cashed out. At the time I was single and my guitar was the most expensive item in my possession, and that includes the value of every car I'd owned up to that point. I quickly went to the local music store (I think it was wwbw.com ) and purchased a Zoom 9002 guitar effects processor. I believe it was around $350. It was kind of gimicky in that it attached to your guitar strap. Really inconvenient if you already had a tank of a guitar like my Les Paul Custom, but I really liked the idea of also being able to use it without plugging in to an amp and just using headphones. It was awesome. It made all kinds of sounds. Compression, Distortion, Eq, Pitch Shift, Phase, Flange, Chorus, Delay1 & 2, and Reverb1 & 2. 20 pre programmed effects banks, and 20 user definable effects banks. I used it alot. I have a Marshall amp with no reverb, and a guy's gotta have some reverb now and then. 
Fast forward 28 years. Married, 2 kids. One graduated from college the other a college junior. I don't get to play guitar much anymore. My Zoom has been dead for at least 10 years. I was looking online and found a place that repairs ZOOM 9002's and I finally figured it was time to get it working again.... then it took me a couple weeks to find it. Original box, original manual, Ni-MH battery, wired remote, power pack, it was all still there. I sent it to e-lectronics.net  and ordered the repair. I also replaced the battery and found a sweet optional foot pedal for the unit that I'd never seen before. I bet Richy Sambora would be proud!
Yeah, he was in ads for the device back then. They are still selling copies of these ads for $10 online too.
So I got the Zoom in the mail on Saturday, but our Postal service doesn't deliver down our "minimum-maintenance" road ever since we complained that they delivered a box and put it on our neighbor's step, only to have it missing and the neighbors, who had just moved out, and the neighbors that were just moving in, knew nothing about. SOOO, I took an hour off this morning and went to the post office to go pick it up. I then took the last 15 minutes of that to plug it in, try it out and the new/used foot pedal as well. I have to say I missed those funky sounds! Glad it's back. Glad I got it repaired and didn't spend more money on other effects!

Can't wait to try this out with my super-sweet huge vintage Roland pedal from the 80s that my buddy Tom surprised me with a few years ago! More on that later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What am I brewing? Mule Juice

Gray Kangaroo